The Regent Theatre
Regent Movie Theatre
Opened in 1919 showing movies and vaudeville acts on stage.
"In the 1930’s, the Regent Theatre received an Art Deco style face lift, including a cream-colored vitriol facade with red and green highlights. The six second-story windows have been closed up and covered with vitriol with abstract decoration on them.
After decades entertaining the people of Allegan, the Regent Theatre closed in the early-1980’s. It was threatened with demolition by 1990.
The non-profit Old Regent Theatre purchased the theater the same year and restored it to its 1930’s glory in 1996.
In 1997, during a violent rainstorm, the roof collapsed causing massive damage just an hour after the last movie of the night let out.
Since then, the Old Regent Theatre has been painstakingly rebuilt and restored once again, including recreating historic panels in the auditorium and the original 1930’s carpeting. The building was rewired electrically, and new curtains were hung.
The 20 by 30 foot original screen was salvaged, but needed to be repaired. It is now one of the largest screens remaining in Michigan"
The Old Regent Theatre has recently made the switch from 35mm film to digital. Also receiving surround sound. In early June the theatre will install a new screen, exactly the same size, as the old one is from when the roof fell in.
Contact Information :
211 Trowbridge St, Allegan MI. 49010 (269) 673-2737